How do I know it's local?
Manitoba has 123 registered chicken farmers proudly raising nutritious, high-quality chicken for you and your family to enjoy.
Look for the “Raised by a Canadian Farmer” logo on your fresh packs of chicken in your grocery store, so you know you’re buying local chicken.
What are chickens fed? What about hormones and steroids?
Manitoba chicken is raised by Manitobans for Manitobans, and like all Canadian chicken it is:
- Raised without added hormones or steroids.
- Free from antibiotics or antibiotic residues.
- Raise free-run chicken year-round, so you can enjoy fresh chicken any time. Free-run means chicken roam freely throughout clean, spacious, well-ventilated barns.
- Follow mandatory on-farm food safety and animal care programs so you always have high-quality, nutritious, wholesome chicken.
- Are registered with Manitoba Chicken Producers, a farmer-run organization that ensures farmers raise enough chicken to meet demand and get a fair price for their chicken. Chicken from registered Manitoba farms is available fresh in stores and restaurants throughout Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario.
In addition to the excellent variety of boneless, skinless, bone-in, whole, and ground Manitoba chicken products, specialty chicken products are also available in some stores and restaurants. These products have the same great taste as other varieties of chicken. Some examples of specialty chicken include:
Heavy roasting chickens: Fresh or frozen chickens weighing over 2 kilograms.
Halal chicken: Raised and processed in accordance with Islamic dietary laws.
Raised Without Antibiotics: Look for the “Raised Without Antibiotics” label at Save-On-Foods grocery stores. All Manitoba chicken meat is free of antibiotics and antibiotic residues.