Spending a day at the Royal Manitoba Winter Fair in Brandon is like visiting the farm. It’s a great way for the whole family to have a lot of fun during spring break, and learn a little more about agriculture in Manitoba. Manitoba Chicken Producers is part of the Thru the Farm Gate display in the curling rink, along with our friends from Manitoba Egg Farmers, Manitoba Beef Producers, Dairy Farmers of Manitoba, and Manitoba Pork.
Here are 10 things to see and do at the Manitoba Chicken booth.
1. Spot the differences between the hens that lay hatching eggs and the hens that lay the eggs we eat.
2. Find out what broiler chickens have in common with a soup spoon and a 2L bottle of pop.
3. Talk to real chicken experts.
4. Watch the eggs hatching in our incubator.
5. Answer a chicken question – win a prize .
6. Discover what is, and isn’t, in chicken feed.
7. Find out how long it takes a chick to lose its yellow down and grow white feathers.
8. Listen to the rooster crowing.
9. Compare the size of day old chicks to market ready chickens.
10. See how chickens get a drink.
The Fair runs from March 28 to April 2. Doors open at 9AM on March 28 and 10AM the rest of the week.